Monday, February 16, 2009

Director position statement - Mitz Carr

My interest in serving on the Board of Directors is that I believe we may soon find ourselves at a crossroads as to the direction of our club, in part due to the success of the Hopkins program. As a member since 1991, I served on the board from 1992 to 1998 then became VP for two years, and then President until my departure in 2002 to be an Assistant Varsity Coach at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. When I returned, in 2003, I picked-up many of my previous jobs: running the Yale home regattas , co-chairing the HOH, and, since my return, I've been a chair of the Coaching Committee.

The Hopkins program is going to stimulate a lot of discussion of new opportunities and directions for the New Haven Rowing Club. Over the last five years in particular I think we are all concerned with how we might continue to grow, and certainly with today's financial outlook, how to sustain what we have. Working with Hopkins provides financial opportunities that could certainly be attractive opportunities for the future of the club, as well as the future of youth rowing in New Haven and the surrounding community. I applaud the current Board for structuring an initial spring program in a way that was successful for both parties, and that will lead to the question of "where is this going?" Selfishly, since I have put in thousands of hours of sweat equity, I want ensure that my investment is protected. I'm interested in getting back on the board so that I can ensure that, to the best of my ability, the board works in a thoughtful way to continue to seek growth and financial stability that continues to sustain our core values and the club that both you and I love.
Respectfully submitted,
Mitz

No comments: